In order to prevent a really long post, I am going to try and just do a quick timeline so it is only kinda long:
October 2012: Still living in St. George, Rachel still commuting, Devan still likes his job at WyFi, but is starting to really miss personal production, and we both are not huge fans of St. George. Also found out our renter in Vegas wanted to end her lease early...as in mid-November. Decided this might be perfect timing and started looking for a job for Devan in Vegas, just to have some options.
November 2012: Still living in St. George, Rachel still commuting, Devan still working at WyFi, but has a very promising prospect in Vegas with a very tentative start date of mid-January. Promising enough for Devan to give his dad notice that he will be leaving. Decide we should move to Vegas before Devan officially has the job...HUGE leap of faith, but we felt completely ok with it (ok I was a little nervous, but the idea of no more commuting was enough to convince me). Try to find a renter to take over our place in St. George with no luck.
December 2012: Move back to Vegas! No more commuting! Devan officially "unemployed" - but still maintaining very promising contact with the previously stated job and a mid-January start is still the plan. Finally rent out our St. George house after Christmas and got out of the remainder of our lease.
January 2013: Devan officially has a job - start date set for the end of the month. Disney World Trip. Find out with 2 days left in the trip that there is a very high chance I will be laid off when I get home. Come home and actually get laid off. Enjoy 3 really nice weeks being home together...all day everyday...since we are both jobless. Devan starts new job at One Nevada Credit Union and LOVES it.
February 2013: Rachel gets offered a per diem RD position - will officially accept next week if everything looks good. Devan feeling very confident and optimistic about his job..."For the first time I feel like I will be able to 100% comfortably provide for my family with just my paycheck." There is some commission involved here, so every paycheck will be different...oh joy.
Things we have learned:
-Adult life and it's choices hold much more weight than I wish they did. Who knew there really were "life changing" decisions out there with real "life changing" consequences for both the good and bad.
-Sometimes those "life changing" circumstances are no fault of your own and are completely unexpected, so be prepared!
-Most importantly, if you are living righteously and keep God involved in all your decisions, things work out for the best, whether you planned them that way or not. For example:
-Us moving to St. George was divinely inspired and was a good thing. It was something that needed to happen for multiple reasons, and even though it didn't turn out like we had planned, it turned out how it was supposed to.
-Getting laid off was mostly a good thing. I was working more than I wanted to be and felt like I was away from Tylee a lot. This new job is less hours but still enough time to get me out of the house for my own sanity and keep me from forgetting everything I learned in school. I need and want to be home with my baby more, and I didn't fully realize that until I was home with her everyday.
-Devan loves his new job...I guess we will just have to wait and see how this plays out, but we aren't worried. I guess maybe being an adult isn't that tricky when you have the right perspective, but hopefully we can take a little break on this whole life changing stuff and just stay put for a little while. I know I'm not sure how my life could get any better at this point.
No comments:
Post a Comment