Lucky for me, she came on a Saturday so Devan was home. We were at Trent's soccer game and I started having contractions. I had been at soccer games the two days before as well and always started having contractions on the car ride out their and then they stopped by the time we got home...thought maybe it had something to do with the long bumpy car ride and walk to the field, so I wasn't paying too much attention to them. When we got home, the contractions didn't go away so I figured I better time them. Turns out they were 5 minutes apart. We decided to get ready and head to the hospital. I wasn't really in any pain yet and definitely didn't feel like I was in labor, but figured we would see what they had to say. Dev commented as we calmly walked in around 4:30 pm that this was not how he expected things to happen. I got all checked and the Dr. decided to keep me since I was already a day over my due date. I was dilated a 4 and we decided to start some Pitocin to speed up the process.
By far the worst part of the whole delivery was the IV placement. They had to do it three times before they found a vein that worked. I thought Devan was going to blow up on someone...he was very irritated, and the failed IV's were very painful. The dreaded (in my mind) epidural was a piece of cake. I didn't feel anything more than a pin prick and it started working withing 10 minutes. I only had to experience a handful of really painful contractions.
By the time all the poking and prodding was done, it was around 7:30. Dev and I passed the time by watching some Hulu and getting some shut eye. I was checked around 9 -dilated to a 6, and then again around 10:30 -dilated to a 10! Was not expecting that aleady! Dev was still sleeping so we woke him up and he was super groggy. Devan takes awhile to wake up and even though we were about to have a baby, he still was walking around in a stupor for a few minutes. The nurse had me do one push just to see where baby was at and her head started poking out. She ran out to call the Dr. and told me not to push anymore. By the time the Dr. arrived and everything was set up it was a little before 11:30. I pushed through three contractions...probably about 10 minutes total...and she was here! I didn't feel a thing! And Dev didn't pass out! He even "kinda" watched.
After a few stitches, some crying from Tylee while she got cleaned up, and about 36 hours in the hospital that all blend together, we are home and have had a pretty standard first week from what I understand. Dev was here for the first few days and then headed back to work. Tylee and I will be joining him tomorrow. Grandma is going to come up next week and help me unpack the new place. We have had lots of visits from family and friends, and Grandma has taken lots of pictures. I am loving being a mom and am ready to get up to Utah so I can once again have the help of daddy...my family has been great in the mean time though. Tylee is loved like crazy by everyone around here!




Wow what a great birth story! I am super anxious about the epidural, so its good to hear that was no problem... Wow, it sounds like things went pretty fast and fairly easy with 3 pushes! I hope mine goes just as well. Only 2 weeks left! Hope you are loving Tylee- cute name!
ReplyDeleteSo exciting!!! Congrats! She is a doll! Post lots of pics :)
ReplyDelete