This is the final push to the end of the year, so this is gonna be long one to catch up on everything. Brace yourself:
Our holidays FLEW past this year. I actually kinda enjoyed it though...I think I was a little antsy for the coming year and just wanted it to get here already. To start things off, we did something I have wanted to do for almost two years...RIPPED OUT THE CARPET IN MY DOWNSTAIRS!! This was my birthday/Christmas/Dev's Christmas present. We put the "fake" wood in our downstairs and I love it! It is so easy to keep clean, especially with Reese. Dev spent his week 1/2 off of work installing the floors for me. He did such a good job and was really good about working on it without me nagging him to do it. Basically the best present ever! Occasionally we had some friends come over and help, and of course Bruce was a huge factor in ripping the tile up from our entry way. My parents came over one day and helped me get some of our new baseboards painted also. Those still aren't fully done because we need to order more, but we are so close and I love it!!!!
Due to the fact that the floor had to be done during the week of Christmas while Dev didn't have work, our Christmas decorations came down a few days before Christmas, but we didn't spend any of Christmas at our house, so I felt ok about it. We started off Christmas on the 23rd with Devan's siblings and mom. It is starting to get really fun because there are kids now running around everywhere, not just boring adults anymore. We just chatted and ate delicious food that Tori mostly made. We then exchanged a couple gifts. Tori had brought ours over to the house earlier and gave us a Mormon Tabernacle Choir CD about Joseph Smith which has some of my favorite songs on it. She gave me some boots/slippers that I love and actually wear around like normal shoes, and Dev got a super soaker. It's funny because when we were Christmas shopping for Trent who is 11, Dev made the comment that he would still love to get a super soaker for Christmas even though he is 25. Crystal got everybody socks, and this was actually Devan's favorite present. She got him a really nice pack of dress socks that he still makes comments about everytime he wears them. I wear the socks she got me all the time too. They are soooo cute! We got Adam and April and Crystal and Mike aggravation..the classic versions from ebay. If you recall...that was our favorite game to play when we were at the cabin this last summer and nobody owns it because it is from the 60s. There is a 90s version, but it isn't as fun. We also got Ashley a copy of one of Dev's favorite movies: Family Man. He says that everybody needs to see that movie and he's right. It is really good. All in all, great to see Tori this year and get all the family together in one place at the same time!
On Christmas Eve I started me day bright and early at 4 am for a 10 hour shift at the hospital. Dev worked on the flooring and we met up at my parents house when I got off for the traditional Christmas Eve dinner. My mom always puts out tons of snacks before it is actually dinner, so of course most of us were full when it was time to eat. But at my parent's house Christmas Eve dinner is steak so how could you turn it down? We then did the annual drive down "Christmas Lane" to see all of the lights. This street seriously goes all out and it is ridiculous. To continue with traditions, my mom usually reads us a story around the Christmas tree, usually something that tugs on the heartstrings a little. This year my sister read the story and it was the one about the 3 Christmas Trees. It was way good! We then did the annual reading from Luke 2 and proceeded to open our one present. Normally we get pajama pants, but this year we all got new slippers...Devan's idea...and I thought it was great! To finish off the night we headed over to the Thompson's which we also do every year. They have lobster for Christmas Eve dinner so of course we have to hit that up! It's always nice to just sit and chat for awhile too.

No comments:
Post a Comment