You ever have one of those days, or weeks, or even months when nothing goes right? Everything is just falling apart around you...LITERALLY! We are quickly discovering as home owners that when things break, you can't just go and tell the building manager and have maintenance come and fix it. And it is not free when stuff breaks either! When we first picked our house, we knew there were things that we wanted to change and of course we have all these big plans. (By we, I mean me...Dev could really care less most of the time.) Unfortunately, these items are always getting put on hold due to lack of funds. Recently, to add to that, things keep breaking that need immediate repair...which eats up more funds! Now don't get me wrong, we are so blessed to be able to own a home and have the money we need when things do go wrong, but do they all have to go wrong at once?
So, a few things that have been on our list for awhile...our downstairs faucet is leaking and needs a new part, 2 of our 3 toilets are constantly running so they need some new whatever it is that is inside of them, the upstairs guest shower doesn't get more than lukewarm, our garage door doesn't like to work when it is cold outside, our sprinkler system decided to blow a fuse at the beginning of the summer and we didn't realize it until all our plants died, cars at our house are constantly in the shop, most recently to rebuild Dev's transmission, and October is our month for registering cars and renewing Dev's liscensing for work...not broken house problems, but do require a big chunk of change. AANNDDDDD...to top it off, our dishwasher just decided to die!!! Here's the thing...I have been wanting a new dishwasher since we bought the house. The one already here was white and the rest of our appliances are stainless. It was your generic $300, 5yr. old dishwasher that pretty much had you washing the dishes by hand. It was something that was on our "One day I would like to do this to the house" list, but quickly got moved to top priority on the "Fix this now" list.
Being the frugal people we are, we decided we should try and fix it, even though it wasn't really worth fixing and we wanted a new dishwasher anyways. The thing wouldn't drain, so I looked up online what the problem could be. It seemed to be an easy fix...clean out the drain basket, and if that doesn't work, clean out the drain hose that connected to the disposal. So we did, and after a lot of time, tinkering, and a pond in our kitchen, it still didn't work. Turns out, the electric thing that opens and closes for the water to drain was broken...way beyond our scope of practice. Soooooo a new dishwasher it is! We got a steal on a $1500 model! It was clearanced and we got the floor model so it was only $450! And it actually works! I didn't even know they made dishwashers that actually washed dishes. I guess you have to spend $1500 for that luxury :)
The point of this post was not really to complain about all the things going wrong, but more just to document the experiences of being young married college kids trying to build the dream. Like I said, we are extremely blessed that we can handle these things when they come up. It's also fun (for me) to watch my hubby trying to fix our broken dishwasher...we are just living in the real world now! Obviously he wasn't successful, but it turned out for the better...I got the dishwasher I have been wanting! I was telling Dev after we were driving home from Sears that appparantly all I need to do to get new things is break the ones we have....I think I'll flood our downstairs so we have to replace the carpet and maybe take a chainsaw to our couches....hehehe. Ok, maybe not. We are having fun with our house and all the stresses that come with it. I really do love our house and honestly can't believe how blessed we have been.
No comments:
Post a Comment