YEESSSSS!!!!! It is official!!! I met with an advisor yesterday and I am graduating in one year!!!! Can I just say that it is so nice to see the light at the end of the tunnel! I still have a rough summer ahead of me with 2 chemistry classes...kill me now....and then 2 full semesters, but having everything down on paper and knowing the end is near is making it all easier. For anyone who has never met with an advisor and is still in school...DO IT! He told me that if I had not met with him in person, that when I went to the registrar and applied for graduation, I would have been denied because I have credits from everywhere! I have classes from BYU, CSN, NSC, and some that were just waived by the program director, but weren't put in the system. So at first glance, I was missing alot, but once I located everything and explained to him how all of my requirements were satisfied everything is now in the system and I can successfully apply for graduation this fall!!!! Unfortunately, afterwards I still have a seven month internship that is EXTREMELY competitive. Only about 40% of applicants get matched, and the fact that I have to stay in Vegas makes it even more difficult. However, I am confident because I will have a really strong resume with my work experience, volunteer work...which I have yet to do...and my portfolio which will be complete after I finish my independent study project. Not to mention, my boss is one of the interviewers during the application process along with some of my favorite professors who I am working really closely with on my portfolio. So, even though it is going to take me 5 yrs, 6 if you count my internship, I am really going to be Rachel Wyson, RD!!!!
As for Devan, he is also going back to school!! His business partner just took his CFP exam. Getting your CFP is equivalent to becoming a doctor in the world of finance. It is the top credential. I think this has motivated Devan. CFP is his long term goal, but we are going to take baby steps. He is getting ready to go back and get the financial equivalent of a masters which is a CHFC, Chartered Financial Consultant. It is a series of 8 classes which takes about 2 years to complete. Each class has a major exam afterwards (they usually are 4-6 hr. exams) that you must pass in order to get credit. The classes are completely finance related with titles like Estate Planning, Retirement Planning, Investing, Taxation, etc... He is really excited about it and it is even better because MetLife will reimburse him for it! Since my job reimburses me for my school, we will both be able to finish school debt free!!!!! So once again, writing to my future children, school is not fun (well sometimes it is if you like what you are doing, but not all the time), not easy, and not cheap, but there are ways to overcome all of these problems and it will be so worth it in the end!!!! So, whether you future plans require a traditional college degree like mine, or something a little more job specific like Devan's, acquire knowledge in some way that will give you the credentials and skills to be a successful member of society and provide for your own families.
I remember the relief at seeing the end of the tunnel to my Bachelor's degree! Congrats on making it all work. So, how did you find my blog? I have reading yours since you posted it on Facebook :0)
ReplyDeletePS. You look so different with long hair! You have the face that can pull off both...lucky!!