Sunday, July 18, 2010

Girls Camp

So apparently July has been a lot more festive than June, because I have lots to write about. So, this last week I got to go up to Girls' Camp for a day and spend some time with my Young Women. (Only one day because of school). Our ward had all four of our active girls attend and then we combined with another ward in our stake that only had two girls going...grand total of 6! It was really fun for our girls to have to some fresh new faces to hang out with. We have been doing combined activities in preparation for camp for the past couple months, but they didn't really come out of their shells with each other until they were actually up there, so that was really fun to see. Most of our girls are really shy and I loved being able to see this whole other side to them.



The day that I went up happened to be the hike. I volunteered to go with our first years, Kelsie Ogden and Asia Gomez. The whole group started out together and then at a certain point they told the first years they could turn back if they wanted. However, our girls are amazing and they wanted to keep going with the Englehart girls who were second and third years. What troopers! So we kept going. The second half was way harder and my legs were killing me for the rest of the day and the next three days after I came home. Am I out of shape or what?! I chatted with Kelsie about how she is helping her mom redecorate their house, how she loves to ride her dune buggy, her family, and just about everything else under the sun. She will just talk your ear off if you let her! Absolutely adorable! London, Savannah, and Asia were so cute singing hymns all the way down the mountain. They asked me if I had any good suggestions, but all the ones I mentioned, they had already sung. They probably sang a good half of the hymn book. It was so great to see all the girls walking arm and arm on the hike and having a good time. When we got back, Sis. Englehart had warmed up some water and gave foot rubs to the girls while we painted fingernails...only at girls' camp right?

Later that afternoon, it was time for the skits. Our ward did a Beauty and the Beast spoof. Each ward had a different fairy tale because the theme was all about Princesses and being daughters of God. They did SUCH A GOOD JOB! Everybody thought our skit was sooo cute! Their personalities really showed through on stage which was really great to see. I just loved seeing these girls in this different setting and really seeing them come out of their shells! We also did some really cute crafts that day with modge podge. Cindy had printed out pictures of each of the girls' favorite temples for them and printed out the mutual theme for the year. They modge podged them onto black wooden blocks and tied ribbon around them so they could keep them in their rooms on their dressers or shelves. They also modge podged some magnets that had the phrase "Daughter of God" on them that were really cute. It seemed like the girls had a really good time after hearing them talk in church today. They did a spiritual night hike one day and then had a fireside and testimony meeting at the end of the week that I missed, but it seemed to make a really good impression on all of them. Hopefully next year I will get to go to more than just one day. I really love the girls that I work with and hope they know that!

No comments:

Post a Comment